Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Irony, defined

In the event that you are unfamiliar with the definition of irony, here it is: "an event or result that is the opposite of what is expected" (Webster's New World Dictionary and Thesaurus). Need an example? How about this one:

I get these headaches when I haven't had enough sleep. They start in my neck and go all the way along the back of my head with very dull, persistent pain. There is nothing that can cure these headaches except, well, sleep. Thus I call them my tired headaches.

So this morning, at four, when I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep, do you know it was that kept me awake? Yep. A tired headache. A throbbing, painful, cannot be ignored signal from my body that I need more sleep, asap. Huh huh. Joke's on you, body. You hurt me like that, I don't sleep. Or maybe the joke's on me. Actually, it's not really funny at all. But it is ironic.

No comments: