Thursday, December 20, 2007

30 Days Notice: A Clarification

Upon reading my last post, my husband suggested that perhaps I should clarify that I don't have multiple personalities. I'm not sure that the person with the possible multiple personality disorder has a whole lot of credible in such an assertion, but I certainly don't think I'm mentally ill. I just think I'm a writer, which, some might argue, isn't exactly so different.

What I mean is that I am a writer, have always been one, and am therefore always writing in my head. It's something I've done since I was very little and actually wrote aloud, meaning that I would narrate elaborate stories as I played with my toys. I know that many children do this, but from what I've learned, I did/do it to an extreme. Everything is a narrative, a dialogue, a scene in itself or one step in a very long sequence. I blog in my head, write emails to friends, edit long-abandoned stories.

So really, in retrospect, I have a zillion personalities. They're restless, since the two kids have put a halt to almost all writing, and therefore more vocal, assertive, and otherwise annoying, but I really wouldn't want it any other way. They are the characters yet to be, and the fact that they're still there gives me hope that one day they will find their way onto paper.

Or maybe I really am crazy. What is it they say? Ignorance is bliss? Hmm...

1 comment:

Heather said...

Once, when living abroad (and not knowing too many people to talk to) I actually used to talk to myself. Out loud. While walking down the street. I probably had A and B personalities then too. So don't worry--you seem perfectly sane to me.
Of course, that might not be a ringing endorsement...