Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What's in a name?

Today, after four weeks in gym, K finally said something during the opening name song. She loves gym, don't get me wrong. I've never seen a kid so uncontainably happy, not to mention that she has a wicked sense of balance and endlessly daring energy. This has replaced swimming as the high point in our week. But during the name song, she usually retreats into my lap, pinching her lips shut while I, at last, say her name for her.

But today, we got to her spot and the teacher asked "What's your name?" and she replied in the most bright, exuberant voice: "Fireman."

Yes, well, I filled in her name for her again. And maybe explained what she said to the confused people around us, who just don't look at us quite the same. But I'm really proud of my little Fireman.

No comments: