Monday, December 8, 2008

Condolences

Okay, I had a whole post here that I wrote and rewrote as the news turned worse, but after the tragedy of the FA-18 crash, I couldn't bear to leave it up. Just seemed callous to put anything about a soap opera next to such a saddening event. My heart goes out to all those affected.

But I am leaving my main point: constant news coverage of events such as this one turn a personal tragedy into the public's entertainment. I know, they are giving us interesting and pertinent information about something that most people won't ever experience. But this was a family devastated, lives lost, homes destroyed. For a select, unfortunate few, this event will forever mark a terrible turning point in their world. We have no right to share in it just to satisfy our curiosity. Just my (still irritated) two cents.

No comments: