Sunday, September 14, 2008

You'll want to think I'm joking...

Television has sunk to a new low. Okay, I'll grant that it really didn't have far to drop, but from time to time I watch some recorded TV, and when the show's over, and if it's not too late, I might flip around a little. That's when I found "Hole in the Wall." Which is pretty much what it the title suggests: a trio of people who must fit themselves through an oddly shaped hole in a wall or risk being knocking into a pool full of goo. But on the plus side, a woman in a bikini helps them out! Apparently this is a knock-off of a Japanese game show, as if that somehow grants legitimacy to the whole she-bang. I only watched for a few minutes, mouth gaping in shock, but I'm pretty sure I lost brain cells in the process.

Here's a little extra tidbit, just to put you over the edge. The corn refiners association is promoting high fructose corn syrup as a natural product completely compatible with a young child's diet. Don't believe me? Click here.

There are so many things I want to say in response to the insanity of these two items, but the bottom line is that they seem to perpetuate the stereotype that Americans are mindless consumers of whatever product, promotion, or propaganda that comes our way. In the midst of a tangled election, I retain hope that we are not nearly as lemming-like as corporate American would have us believe. It's only a little hope, granted, but I hold it especially for my kids, so that maybe they can prove the world wrong.

No comments: