Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas cookies

Christmas cookies are fabulous. I love nearly every kind of Christmas cookie: gingerbread, thumbprints, sugar cookies, rice krispy treats--What? Rice krispy treats aren't Christmas cookies? Sure they are. I sprinkle them with red and green sugar. That makes them Christmasy. See?

Okay, so I'm admitting that I use this time of year to make all the cookies that I don't make the rest of the year because I will eat them. All of them. With delight. But it's Christmas, and we're all supposed to bake cookies. That's why they have all those recipes in magazines, and all those great ads in the Sunday paper. Then we eat them. All of them. With delight.

It's weird at first. I'm thinking, it's lunch time and I'm having a cookie. I don't usually have cookies at lunch. Hardly ever, really. Certainly not three days in a row. But after a while, I realize that the world didn't end, no calorie police came calling, and my pants are still buttoning (barely). It's one month a year; I'm going to town.

Of course, this post will seem appropriately hilarious when we get to the "how did I gain this much weight in one month" post sometime after the new year. Feel free to tell me so when the time comes. Right now, I'm having another piece of fudge...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I don't know if you know this, but Christmas cookies are actually an excellent breakfast food. Hide them from the kids, dip them in the coffee... an excellent way to start the day, really.