Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why people should come with care labels

I recently switched to mineral makeup, which is supposed to be for super-sensitive skin. Very natural, very healthy, etc. A few days later, I noticed that my few cheek scars (too much picking, but that's a whole other post in itself) were very pronounced. WTH? Then I actually looked very closely in the mirror, something that usually doesn't happen in the 30 seconds I have to get ready in the morning. I could see my scars because my skin was unusually clear. So it turns out that I must have had said super-sensitive skin all along, skin that was crying out for natural make-up via the tiny pimples all over my chin and nose. See, but I didn't know this. My skin doesn't get red, wasn't flaky, didn't seem particularly anything. It was skin. It seemed normal to me. How would I know any different?

So I would like to propose that people be born with little care labels tattooed on their backside (printed in reverse, perhaps, so that we could read them in the mirror) because I'm left wondering what else I don't know about my body. Is my skin yellow-toned or red-toned? I burn, but I also look better in warm colors. What about my hair? It seems thick but sometimes flat on top. Am I really a pear-shape, or curvy? Am I the only person in the world who wonders why all these designations seem so confusing? Well, at least my skin looks good. Now, if I could just figure out whether it's oily or normal or dry or combination...

No comments: